The Ultimate Guide to How to Find a WiFi Password on Your iPhone
Unless you have unlimited data on the phone, you probably connect to dozens of Wi-Fi hotspots over the years. Here is an article on how to find a Wi-Fi password on your iPhone.
If you go to your friend or family member’s house and don’t know the password, you can’t view the Wi-Fi network in iOS 15. That’s changing in iOS 16. The change appears also on iPadOS 16 for iPad.
How to find a Wi-Fi password on your iPhone (iOS 16)
On an iPhone running iOS 16, you can find the password as follows:
- Go to Wi-Fi.
- ind the Wi-Fi network you want the password for and tap on the blue information icon to the right of the network name.
- Tap on Password and use Face ID, Touch ID or enter your passcode to view the password.
- Hit Copy to save the password to your clipboard.
You can copy the Wi-Fi network password into a text message or email to share it with someone, or just tell them.
How to Find the Wi-Fi Password for Your Personal Hotspot
When you use Personal Hotspot, your iPhone functions like the Wi-Fi router in your home. In that case, finding your Personal Hotspot password is easy. Just follow these steps:
- Tap Settings on your iPhone.
- Tap Personal Hotspot.
- Look at the Wi-Fi Password menu. This is the password to your Personal Hotspot. Give that to people who want to connect to your iPhone over Wi-Fi.
How to Look Up Your Wi-Fi Password in Router Settings
This isn’t quite the same as finding the Wi-Fi password on your iPhone, but it gets you the information you need.
- Make sure your iPhone is connected to the Wi-Fi network whose password you want to find.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Wi-Fi.
- Tap the i icon next to the Wi-Fi network name.
- Find the Router field and write down the number listed there (this is the router’s IP address). It is probably something like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1, but could be something else.
- In your iPhone’s web browser, go to the IP address from the last step.
- You’ll be asked to log into your router. To connect to a router as an administrator, you’ll need the username and password you created when you set up the router. Hopefully, you wrote this down somewhere. It’s also possible that you didn’t change the default username and password. In that case, it could be something as simple as admin/admin.
- Once you’ve logged into your router, each Wi-Fi router will have a slightly different set of steps for finding the Wi-Fi password, but look for settings or the name of the Wi-Fi network, and you’ll be on the right track.
How do you share a Wi-Fi password from a Windows laptop to an iPhone?
On a Windows device, there is no simple method to exchange Wi-Fi passwords.
You may locate a stored Wi-Fi password by heading into
- Network & Internet.
- Network and Sharing Center.
- Connections: [Network Name]
- Wireless Properties.
- Show characters.
How to see Wi-Fi Passwords On iPhone Using iCloud Keychain
There is a limit to how many Wi-Fi passwords you can view using the above approach. It only allows you to divulge the password for the network to which you are presently connected. You must use this procedure if you want to find the passwords for other networks that you have previously connected to.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone, select iCloud by tapping on the banner with your name at the top.
- Locate and choose the Keychain option on the following screen. You may use it to access the settings for your iCloud Keychain.
- In order to begin synchronizing your passwords, turn the iCloud Keychain toggle to the ON position.
You will now view your passwords by logging into the Keychain application on your Mac.
- On your Mac, select System Preferences by clicking the Apple logo in the top-left corner of your screen.
- On the subsequent page, click iCloud.
- In iCloud for Mac, you may enable and disable a number of things. Set the ON position for the Keychain option.
- Go to the Dock, select Launchpad, type in Keychain Access, and then click the application when it pops up.
- Once Keychain is opened, enter the name of your Wi-Fi network into the search box.
- When you locate the network in the list, double-click on it.
- On the subsequent page, select Show password to view your stored Wi-Fi password.
- Your Keychain password must be entered. Do so, then click OK.
We hate to say it, but it might be difficult to figure out Wi-Fi password on an iPhone. Fortunately, the approaches we have listed above are far easier to use than those you would discover on other platforms.
So why are you still waiting?
To enjoy a safe and secure Wi-Fi connection on your iPhone, try out these techniques right away.